Acne usually starts in your teenage years but the sad fact is that it can also affect you during adulthood. As a matter of fact, some people only begin experiencing breakouts during their adult years. There are different possible causes of acne but the good news is that you can manage acne prone skin and keep breakouts under control. Here are quick fixes for preventing breakouts if you have acne-prone skin.
Choose a Cleanser Carefully
Cleansing is very important since it help prevent the skin’s pores from becoming clogged.
- Look for a product that is formulated specifically for acne-prone skin.
- Look for active ingredients that are proven such as salicylic acid, colloidal sulfur and benzoyl peroxide.
- The formulation should be gentle enough not to cause irritation.
- Use a clean towel to dry your skin after.
Be Careful with Products you use on the Skin
People with acne-prone skin need to be very careful since most products contain ingredients that can irritate the skin and cause breakouts.
- There are skincare products that are specially formulated to help combat acne. These products contain anti-bacterial agents and other anti-acne ingredients.
- Even if you have acne-prone skin, you still need a moisturizer but it should be very light and non-comedogenic.
- There are special sunscreens for acne-prone skin.
Use a Good Toner
There are conflicting opinions among skincare professionals when it comes to the oil-reducing properties of a toner. Some dermatologists think it is unnecessary and only increase risk of irritating the skin. There are others that say it is very useful in treating areas of the skin that are oily such as the T-zone.
- Avoid using a toner on areas of the skin that tend to be dry.
- Choose a product carefully and check the key ingredients before buying.
- If you have sensitive skin, you should consult your skincare professional first.
Breakouts cannot be completely prevented even with the best skincare regimen. You need to be ready with a good spot treatment that can clear up breakouts. Look for products with proven active ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and colloidal sulfur.
- Spot treatments dry out the pimple/s quickly.
- Be careful with products if you have sensitive skin.
- Skin test a formulation before buying to check for adverse reactions.
Make Sure Your Makeup Application Tools Are Always Clean
- Dirty makeup brushes and sponges can spread bacteria and cause breakouts.
- Learn how to clean your makeup brushes properly and do it regularly.
- Throw away your sponge after a few uses.
- Make sure your makeup tricks are oil-free since heavy makeup can trigger breakouts.
Change Your Diet
There are studies showing that diets high in simple carbohydrates can increase risk of acne. This involves food that can cause a spike in blood sugar level. Dairy products are also known to promote breakouts. Experts believe that dairy products contain hormones and other chemicals that can lead to acne.
- Try cutting out dairy products from your diet a few weeks and observe if your skin becomes clearer. Go for Pomegranate juice, it helps more then you think.
- Reduce intake of simple carbohydrates especially those that contain a high amount of sugar.
- Eat more nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables.
See a Skincare Specialist
The quick fixes previously mentioned will usually take care of the problem. However, if your acne persists, it may be time to seek professional help. In these cases, more potent treatments are needed to clear up the skin and you can also use some of the best products for acne which will not harm you but provide you acne free skin. There are also cases wherein the acne is caused by medical conditions such as fluctuating hormone levels. These can be treated with prescription medication.